Hapton Chronological Dates

1243 Manor known as Upton.R5
1242 Hapton held by Reyner de Arches.R6
1302 Thomas de Hautrey held Hapton.R6
1303-4 Thomas de Atte Ripa, lord of Carlton in Craven, gave the manor of Hapton to Gilbert de la Legh.R6
1310-11 Gilbert de la Legh and his son, John, attested a local deed, this was not sanctioned and Henry de Lacy declared Hapton manor forfeit and gave it to Edmund Talbot of Bashall.R6
1316  North Lancashire was by Scottish Borderers.
1318 Birtwistles move to Huncoat. John de Huncoat exchanged      Huncoat Hall for similar possession in Hapton.R6
1321 Nicholas de Kighley gave lands in Birtwistle to Gilbert de la Legh.R6
1322 John Talbot aged 18, who held part of Hapton sold the right to Gilbert de la Legh.R6
1333       Robert Dautrey claimed 2 mills and 60 acres in Hapton against Gilbert de la Legh.R6
1336      Gilbert de la Legh grants the manor of Hapton to his grandson,   Gilbert son of John.R6
1381 Richard Towneley died (assumed Towneley as his name, his mother was a Towneley, he would have been a de la Legh).R6
1388      Alice (widow of Gilbert de la Legh) died in possession having had no issue. The heir was John, son of Richard de Towneley, brother of Gilbert.R6
1389     Black Death.
1451      Padiham Church, founded by John Marshall of Bentley Wood Green, Hapton.R6
1497   Licence to build a Tower.
1510     Sir John Towneley built Hapton Tower as Henry VIII came to the throne.
1514     The enclosing of a large part of the township by the Towneley tenure.
1542     War with Scotland.
1596      The boundaries between Hapton and Huncoat and Hapton–Henheads were fixed.
1597      The bounds of Hapton, Huncoat and Henheads were surveyed.
1626     William Eaves and several other convicted recusants were in Hapton.
1634      Death of Jane Towneley.
1644        Battle of Marston Moor and death of Charles Towneley.
1645      The number of acres in the manor was 1,857.
1666      There were 78 hearths liable to be taxed; Ashton’s house had 12 hearths.
1792      Spinning mill built at Castle Clough.R!
1794       Henry Ashwoth of Birtwistle, Hapton was born. He was an apponent of The Corn Laws and wrote “Recollections of Richard Cobden”.
1797-1801   Burnley to Enfield part of the canal was onstructed.R1
1801     Population was 395.R4
1804    Charles Towneley trading as Hapton Coal company.R1
1811      Population was 533.R4
1813      Severe winter, canal froze.
1821       Population was 568.R4
1882     P.E. Towneley acquired Castle Clough Mill.R1
1841      P.E.Towneley leased Castle Clough Mill to Henry Haworth of Church.R1
1842    John Riley and John Smalley Grimshaw founded the Chemical Works.R1
1843      The School House was opened.
1846      Castle Clough Print Works opened.R1
1853      Hapton Valley opened and the first two shafts were sunk. R7
1854      Population was 700.R4
1860     Richard and John Riley of Oakenshaw rented Castle Clough for calico printing.R1
1860     Hapton Railway Station opened.
1861     Population was 1003.R4
1863      St. John’s R.C. School, Padiham (then Hapton) opened.
1867    William Wilson & Son took over calico print works at Castle Clough.R1
1867     Simpson’s Perseverance Mill began production.R1
1872     School House closed.
1871-2 The Methodists opened their Canal Bridge School.
1873     The Hapton Local Board was formed.
1881      St. John’s Church was built.
1885      The Methodist Chapel on Manchester Road was built.R2
1887     A major extension to Perseverance Mill was built housing 1000 looms in total.R1
1888     Part of Hapton was lit by electric lights powered from the Simpson Mill.R1
1890     The Liberal Club was opened.
1891      The population was 3,395.
1897      Hapton F.C. Won the Lancashire Junior Cup.
1897-8   Hapton Brick Company Limited built a brick works near the Leeds/Liverpool Canal, south of Castle Clough.R1
1902      Hapton Brick Company ceased trading.R1
1904       Perseverance Mill re-equipped with new looms and leased to Hapton Manufacturing Company, taken over in 1924 by Ashworth brothers.R1
1905-6   Robert Watson’s weaving shed, 1930 taken over by Mather Brothers & Company Limited.R1
1908    Fire at Hapton Valley Colliery.R7
1912      The Council School was opened.
1914     World War 1
1915/6   William Blythe & Company purchased the chemical works.R1
1920/1 Premier Bleaching Company was formed and a new bleaching plant was installed at Castle clough.R1
1921      The War Memorial was set up made of Aberdeen Granite.
1926      August 21st, the foundation stone was laid at St. Margaret’s Church.
1930      Fire at Ashworth’s Mill.R1
1939     World War 2
1942    Magnesium Elektron Limited built by the government to produce metal for aircraft industry.R1
1946      Mathers taken over by Derby and Midland Mills Limited.R1
1948      Consecration of St. Margaret’s burial ground.
1950      Thorny Bank Colliery developed.R1
1951      Eric Cowpe (Diana Cowpe Organisation) began candlewick manufacturing on the Castle Clough site.R1
1960/1   Operations ended at Castle Clough.R1
1962       Hapton Valley Pit disaster. 19 men were killed and 22 injured in a methane gas explosion.R1
1965      Mathers closed. The site was later occupied by Lucas
1966       Hepworth Iron Company took over the MEL works.R1
1981        Hapton Valley Pit closed.R1
1995     Demolition of Lucas/Mathers Mill.R1
1999       Simpson Brothers closed.R1
References  
R1 “Industrial Heritage” by Mike Rothwell
R2 Barrett’s Directory of Burnley 1885
R3 North and east Lancashire     Mannex    1868
R4 History, Topography and Directory    Mannex     1854
R5 “The Place Names of Lancashire”   Ekwall
R6 History of Whalley 1801 Whittaker Vol 2
R7 Coal mining in East Lancashire – CommuniGate